Monday, June 2, 2008

SPLICING BATTING SCRAPS

I mentioned in a previous post that it is a rare occasion when I will splice together batting scraps for use in a quilt. However, when I do use batting scraps in a quilt, there is a way to splice them without creating a gap or a ridge where the two pieces are joined. This is how I do a batting splice.

I quilt as much as I can with the first piece of batting working my way down the quilt. I stop quilting about 6" from the edge of the batting. Flip the top up out of your way and lay the second piece of batting on top of the first piece. Cut through the two pieces of batting with a wavy or serpentine line as shown in the picture. Make sure you are going out to the edges (top/bottom) of the two pieces of batting.


When you finish the cutting line remove the small loose scraps and fit the wavy line back together. At this point, you can use spray adhesive to keep the batting pieces in place if you are concerned about them shifting during the quilting process.

I will use the process if the quilting is of medium scale and fairly consistent in density so I won't have to worry about the batting coming loose with repeated washings and daily wear and tear. I will splice batting (only my own and never a customer quilt) on small projects, baby quilts, and even throw size, but I'm reluctant to do a splice on a full bed size quilt. I don't like the idea of a potential weak area going all the way across my favorite king size quilt ... especially when I know how my husband pulls the covers!

No comments: