Monday, October 27, 2014

CHALLENGES: WHITE ON BLACK

 They say practice makes perfect but I don't know. This has been a real challenge becoming comfortable with white ink on black paper. I want the white pens/ink to be more sketchy like my other gel pens or my pencils. I think it must be the nature of the white gel ink. Maybe to get the degree of opacity I love - that clearly bright white line in stark contrast with the black paper - there is a degree of heaviness that is required in the ink. 

I have several different gel pens and there are clear differences in the opacity of each. My favorite
white pens are the Uni-ball Signo UM-153 and the Gelly Roll from Sakura. When I want a broader line I use my Sharpie Poster Paint Pen but find myself needing to do more than one coat to get the coverage I'm looking for. Nine times out of ten, you'll see me reaching for the Gelly Roll pen first which makes me happy since I can find them locally and so I can keep a ready supply on hand easily.

When I start a drawing, I find myself doing some light white pencil drawing first to give me some guidelines, to block out the lettering, and MOST OF ALL, to get up my nerve to try to draw something those nasty inner critics are telling me loud and clear that I'm crazy thinking I could ever draw something like that. Shhhhhh you nasty old "negative-nellies!"

There are times I do some practice drawing in the moleskine with pencil just as a way of warm up. But enough with the words, let's get a progress update - and yes, practice every day is working. I think the skills are improving!
... the prompt: NO WORRIES ... 
... working with lettering (and that Sharpie Paint Pen) and trying to become more 
comfortable with drawing a whole figure ...

... the prompt: OVERCOME A FEAR ...
... faces are becoming easier so pushing it to the next level with a change in angle ...
... oh let's be honest, I added the doodling to her hair in hopes you wouldn't
look to closely at the facial elements ...

... the prompt: YOU ARE LOVED ...
... let's play some more with the Sharpie and some lettering ...

... the prompt: IT'S SIMPLE ...
... I saw the painting (don't know the artist) but had to jump in with both feet ...

... the prompt: THE MOVIES ... 
I simply can NOT go into the theater and walk past the concessions without buying popcorn ... butter??? yes, please ...

Want to know more about the challenge: go here ... AT THE END OF MY PEN 2

No comments: