Thursday, August 28, 2008


A little background: Our son Toby and his family are moving from San Diego to Boston where he won the Principal Trombone Chair with the Boston Symphony. We are driving their car across the country for them safely transporting Toby’s many horns and several boxes or irreplaceable arrangements of excepts … his music stash.

And so our adventure begins.
DAY 1: Flew to San Diego; met up with Mike’s brother and his wife; had a picnic lunch on the campus of San Diego State University while Toby teaches the last lessons for his trombone students before he leaves the west coast.

Spent the afternoon and evening walking through Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo. Got to see all the animals who were more active in the evening when the temperatures began to cool down. Highlights for all of us were being able to see the koala bears and the pandas.

DAY 2: Mike and his brother worked during the summers of their high school years as counselors at Camp Pacific in Carlsbad and wanted to drive up and revisit past memories. We had a great time chatting while wiggling our toes in the sand and waves of the surf.

In the afternoon we drove to El Cajon so I could visit with Darlene at The Quilters’ Connection to deliver patterns and to pick up a quilt sample I had loaned her. What a great shop with lots happening. Be sure to drop in and see her great collection of batiks and brights if you are in the area.

The evening was spent attending a gala affair under the stars with the San Diego Symphony and the Salk Institute. The black tie affair began with champagne and hoers devours, followed by a delicious gourmet dinner, a concert line-up of light classical favorites mixed with special guest artist John Pizarelli and his trio. How fun that their encore presentation was "Get your Kicks on Route 66" the very route we have planned for our trip to the east coast.

Oh my … what a heavenly evening!

Day 3: Sailing on the beautiful San Diego Bay with Captain Mike on the Kiwi! Thank you Garret and Toby for making this a most wonderful afternoon.
The rest of the day and part of Day 4 was spend helping Toby finish up with packing, getting the house ready for the final walk-through with his landlord, and getting Toby to the airport.
And then we were off ... on our way following Route 66 as far as we can to get to Boston. More stories and pictures to come at the next stop where there is Internet access in our room.
Post a Comment