Thursday, January 10, 2013

THURSDAY 13 011013


I am a reader. In the eighth grade I won an award for reading the most books in our small class of 18. My favorite reads that year: Gone With the Wind and Uncle Tom's Cabin.  I have always been one who devours books savoring every tasty morsel of action, suspence, and thrilling intrigue, a touch of romance, a bit of thoughtful insight. I love books for their entertainment, but I also love books that make me think - books that challenge me to look at a familiar situation with fresh eyes from a different viewpoint.

I enjoy books in a variety of ways. Technology provides a wonderful array of opportunities for supporting my reading habit. I love to hold the book in my hand (if it's not too heavy) and there is nothing better than stepping into an old bookstore and inhaling the musty smell of old print on vintage paper. Takes me right back to our hometown local library that was all of maybe 12 feet by 15 feet. Small but packed with adventure, dreams, and a journey to escape to a whole new world any time I wanted.

Today, in addition to reading the actual printed page, I love to "read" by listening to my ipod. My daughter tells me that's not real reading. We agree to disagree on that point. I have a first edition Nook - HAD to have one of those because of all the flying I was doing at the time, but have since switched to reading on my ipad. And the best of all, the sweetest indulgence: reading along on my tablet while listening to the same book on my ipod.

But enough ... on with my list of 13 ... the books I read last year:
  1. The Racketeer by John Grisham
  2. Winter of the World by Ken Follett
  3. The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
  4. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
  5. The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory
  6. The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
  7. Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir
  8. Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell
  9. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  10. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  11. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  12. The LItigators by John Grisham
  13. The Shelters of the Stones by Jean Auel
I read bits and pieces of others that caught my eye or as I searched for specific information over the last year. And, of course, there are two books on my nightstand begging further study at the moment: Coach Yourself Thin (Hottinger & Scholtz) and The Path of Practice (Maya Tiwari)http://kay-mntopquilting.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

7 comments:

CountryDew said...

How did you like Shelters of Stone? I listened to that on CD (yes, that counts, I think!) and found it repetitive and boring. I was disappointed as I'd read all of the others and enjoyed them.

Unknown said...

It's too bad when the series has to play catch-up for everyone who hasn't read the previous books. I agree - lots of repetition.

Over the year previous to the Shelters release I reread all the previous books since I hadn't even thought that much about them since the 80's ... glad I did but, since everything was so fresh in my mind, the repetitive nature was even worse.

My favorite is still The Clan of the Cave Bear.

The Islander said...

Great to see your list of books...great minds, etc. etc. etc.

I did enjoy the Hunger Games Trilogy even though I usually do not read that type of book. Wanted to see what my grandson was reading. I did enjoy that.

Thanks for some great ideas to put on my list for 2013 and happy reading.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about The Hunger Games trilogy. I did really enjoy the book, but, you know, I didn't want to see the movies. There was enough violence in my imagination as I read ... don't need to see it spelled out on the screen for me.

Shelley Munro said...

I listened to the Hunger Games trilogy on audio. I actually watched the film last week. I liked the audio version better.

kandyblossom said...

Love the Clan of the Cavebear series, but just wasn't able to get into the last one. My husband bought it for me for my birthday right after it was published. It's still in my nightstand drawer, unfinished.

I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy, but didn't much care for the movie.

I actually liked "Divergent" and Insurgent" by Veronica Roth much more than the Hunger Games. Waiting mpatiently for the final book to be published later this year.

Heather said...

I read The Hunger Games trilogy a couple years ago and loved them. Still haven't seen the movie. Tried to borrow it from my sister at Christmas, but she refused. Brat! I think I'm two books behind on Auel's series. I have one of them, but just never got to it.