Tuesday, June 4, 2013

IN THE GARDEN AFTER DARK


#fmsphotoaday: after dark ...
Today was a day of intense labor outside. The weekend was so overwhelmingly warm - in fact so much so that I suffered a mild case of heat exhaustion, so when the temperature were once again comfortable with an occasional breeze, I felt okay about going back out and finishing up with the gardening. After much weeding, transplanting, and moving of a few day lilies that were being overtaken by the bleeding heart and things are starting to come together for this season. It's always a work in progress but I feel like I'm finally starting to make headway on a degree of permanency in my informal eclectic landscaping style.
 
Mike and I have been having on on-going discussion about just what should be planted in the vegetable garden area this year. We've been quite adventurous in our attempts at full-blown vegetable gardening but when we get into the full season of Tanglewood and house guests the garden tends to suffer. So this year we decided to scale back a bit. We went with zucchini and summer squash, a few cherry tomato plants, some fresh basil, and a couple of cucumber plants. AND we must have pumpkins for Colin and Lucia for Fall/Halloween celebrations and decorating. Mike also likes the garden area being more open too so we're trying it with no fencing this year. Bunnies are for-warned ... nothing in there that might taste good to your delicate palates. And let's hope the deer will stay cool in the woods further up the hill and ignore our plots this summer.
 
For the ICAD challenge today I chose to illustrate a popular observation in our kitchen ...
 
all supplies from kits by Tangie Baxter at www.scrapbookgraphics.com

Thanks for stopping by ... all comments much appreciated :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay, thanks for stopping by the mountain mermaid. I'm glad my re-emerging post inspired you! I love your term informal eclectic landscaping style...It sounds a bit like the way my garden evolve. Our veggie garden is definitely fenced in...we have lots of town dear.
Thanks for the support of my new journal today on creativity coffee. I was honored to have the opportunity to share.
All the best with re-emerging! -Lisa